You are here
Nevertheless, She Wore It: 50 Iconic Fashion Moments (Hardcover)
Usually arrives at our store in 2-8 business days.
From the creator of the bestselling Bad Girls Throughout History!
Celebrated illustrator and author Ann Shen shares her striking study of history's most iconic styles, and the women who changed the world while wearing them.
From the revolutionary bikini to the presidential pantsuit, this book explores 50 fashions through bold paintings and insightful anecdotes that empower readers to make their own fashion statements.
• Demonstrates the power of fashion as a political and cultural tool for making change
• Brilliantly illustrated with Ann's signature art style
• Filled with radical clothing choices that defined their time
Looks include the Flapper Dress, the unofficial outfit of women's independence in the 1920s; the Afro, worn as a symbol of black beauty, power, and pride; the Cone Bra, donned by Madonna in her 1989 power anthem "Express Yourself"; and the Dissent Collar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg's famous signifier for when she disagrees with the majority.
With a stunning and vibrant package, this is a gift-worthy treasure for anyone who wants to defy style norms and rewrite the rules.
• An insightful look at the intersection of fashion statements and historical female power
• Perfect for fans of Ann Shen, as well as anyone who loves fashion, feminism, and political consciousness
• Makes a great girlfriend, mom-to-daughter, aunt-to-niece, and friend-to-friend gift for birthdays, graduations, and holidays
• Add it to the shelf with books like Women In Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed The World by Rachel Ignotofsky; Strong Is the New Pretty: A Celebration Of Girls Being Themselves by Kate T. Parker; and Women Who Dared: 52 Stories Of Fearless Daredevils, Adventurers, And Rebels by Linda Skeers.
About the Author
Ann Shen is an illustrator and graphic designer whose work is featured around the world. She is the author of Bad Girls Throughout History and Legendary Ladies. She lives in Los Angeles, California.